Moving to a new city where you don’t know a soul can be an intimidating, but the best thing for you to do is to get out of your comfort zone, get out and go make new friends!
I was lucky to have moved in with my college friend, Rozen, upon arriving to SoCal. He had been encouraging me to move to California for years and had just bought a house in Orange County. I thank him for allowing me to get on my feet at the beginning of my journey.
My closest friends here – Melissa, Heather, Evie, Simi, Payal, Rozen, John, Ana, Rosy and Denise – I love you guys, I don’t know what I would do without you. We have so many fun and crazy memories together that I will cherish for the rest of my life!
Here are some great ways to make friends:
- Join a Meetup Group. Meetup is the ultimate source for meeting new people. I met my close friend Evie by doing this. We were both from Minnesota, so it was nice to connect with someone from my home state. From her, I met Ana, Simi and Payal! You can search by your interests within a mile radius to find groups who have similar interests as you. I’m part of a few singles groups in the Ventura County area and we grab a bite to eat, paint, go trampoline jumping, watch movies, go dancing…the list is endless.
- Attend networking events. Networking events are a great way to mingle with people that have the same career goals and values as you do. Who knows when you can help each other out with a business venture?
- Go to a bar or restaurant by yourself. Brave the uncharted waters, sit down on a stool and start talking to someone. You never know who you might meet!
- Go on a tour group. You can meet a ton of fun people on a tour bus! While In Ireland I met Kris, who was traveling throughout Europe and was about to start working in Australia through a visa. We connected through social media so that we could discuss different travel adventures and keep updated with one another, which leads me to…
- Get connected through social media. It’s the best way to stay in touch with your friends and even get introduced to new ones through your current friends! I like to use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Whats App. I use Whats App and Facebook Messenger frequently when the girls and I want to discuss plans for the week. I’ve connected with so many business professionals and friends that I also met at events on Facebook. My Twitter and Instagram I mostly use to connect with random people from all over the world and discuss various topics.
True friends never part. Have fun finding your besties! 🙂